Intelligence Redefined: Are You A Gifted Person?

G

For a long time the meaning of giftedness has been restricted to the rigid confines of achievement and accomplishment. Academic toppers are, and should be entitled to their share of glory, but in the process of lauding top scorers and scholarship winners we may be crowding out those who actually have advanced and complex patterns of development but just don’t fit the system’s definition of ‘top students’.

Characteristics of gifted individuals: If 75 per cent of the following 37 characteristics fit you, you are probably a gifted adult.
Are you a good problem solver?
Can you concentrate for long periods of time?
Are you a perfectionist?
Do you persevere with your interests?
Are you an avid reader?
Do you have a vivid imagination?
Do you enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles?
Often connect seemingly unrelated ideas?
Do you enjoy paradoxes?
Do you set high standards for yourself?
Do you have a good long-term memory?
Are you deeply compassionate?
Do you have persistent curiosity?
Do you have a good sense of humor?

Read

Are you a keen observer?
Do you love mathematics?
Do you need periods of contemplation?
Do you search for meaning in your life?
Are you aware of things that others are not?
Are you fascinated by words?
Are you highly sensitive?
Do you have strong moral convictions?
Do you often feel out-of-sync with others?
Are you perceptive or insightful?
Do you often question rules or authority?
Do you have organized collections?
Do you thrive on challenge?
Do you have extraordinary abilities and deficits?
Do you learn new things rapidly?
Feel overwhelmed by many interests/abilities?
Do you have a great deal of energy?
Often take a stand against injustice?
Do you feel driven by your creativity?
Love ideas and ardent discussion?
Did you have developmentally advanced childhood?
Have unusual ideas or perceptions?
Are you a complex person?
*Adapted from the Institute for the Study of Advanced Development.

One way to identify gifted individuals is their style of thinking. They usually employ divergent thinking. Their style is original and they tend to come up with crazy ideas, which other people find strange. But sometimes it is these crazy ideas that go on to become the most recognized ones of our time.

Gifted individuals face many challenges, with one of biggest being the inability to be correctly identified by the individuals who should be helping them realize their true potential.

As with any other student, it would be a shame if parents, teachers and peers did not recognize the strengths of gifted students and allow them to reach their true potential. But what must educators and parents do in order to make sure this does not happen?

However until more help is readily available, what are the gifted to do?

Sadly, not enough is known about giftedness. More time and energy need to be spent identifying traits among the gifted, especially since it is these students who go on to contribute much to improving the state of our world.

Acknowledge the possibilities, identify your capabilities and allow yourself to be different. You never know, you may be the next Einstein.

Now its your turn to talk. Have your say:

You may also like...

113 Responses

1. WOW says:

Amazing. Just about everyone here believes they are gifted. Who would have predicted that such would be the outcome? Or perhaps those whom are not so fortunate are unable to leave a reply because they are so hindered by their lack of intelligence.

2. Caleb says:

Wow, that was an uplifting and revealing article. I feel as if I wasn’t able to put some of those listed traits into words until now. Although I do hate maths like Algebra.

PS

Among the traits you listed I found a small typo.
    “Did you have developmentally advanced childhood?”
    This sentence should have an “a” between “have” and “developmentally”.

3. Vlad says:

This list doesn’t really seem like a very good indicator. One of the reasons objective intelligence tests were developed is that people are notoriously bad at self-assessment. And of course, the term “gifted” is highly ambiguous to begin with. How do you define gifted; in terms of success? Traditional intelligence (i.e. IQ test)? Creativity? Non-traditional intelligence (I.e. Gardner’s multiple intelligences)?

It seems to me as if the simple categories “gifted” and “not gifted” are far too limiting. People are all different, and you can’t reduce it to one, or even 32, characteristics. That’s one of the problems with “gifted” programs in schools; they tend to be all-or-nothing. When I was in grade school, my first few years I did not see the point in doing more than was minimally required on anything, so I never received very good assessments. In Grade 4, we had a series of more objective assessment tests, and I achieved scores far and away better than anyone in the class of 30, the 2nd highest the teacher had seen in over 30 years of teaching (she had the most seniority at the school), particularly in vocabulary, writing, and reading comprehension. However, due to my continue minimalist attitude and lack of organization (the latter of which has never seriously affected my results), I continued to amass mediocre marks and “Not fulfilling potential” assessments all the way up to secondary school.

I went to a secondary school with a “challenge” program which was one of two in the public school system in my city, and it was fairly rigorous; we had to take tests and submit work samples to get in. I attempted, but wasn’t accepted, presumably because at the time I really wasn’t ready. Yet, by Grade 9 and 10, I was. The reason I bring this up is that often school systems are all-or-nothing, and give you only one chance to get into such a program… a program which may or may not even be continued in High School. I probably should have been in that program for some classes, but not others; it would have helped me a lot socially, and the teachers were often better. Of course, my High School was even worse, as it had no gifted program of any kind, or even any advanced classes; everyone took the same level.

It was not until University that I really found my place in the Philosophy department, finally found people who were accepting, who thought about the same things I did. My first philosophy professor, who was actually a PHD Grad student, was the one who convinced me to follow philosophy. Before that I was planning on English, due to my exceedingly high marks in English in high school. However, in University I found it quite boring, the other English students pedestrian and the subject matter trivial. The postmodernism was anathema to my way of thinking.

Conversely, my first class of philosophy was electric. It was like all the philosophizing I had done off in my own world was being repeated back to me, only in a new form. The ideas, the methodology, struck a chord. I began hanging out in with other philosophy students, going to office hours just to talk about philosophy with that first prof, and would end up staying for hours and even going for dinner on campus with other students talking about various things. I went on to take some more classes with him, and we became good friends for a time, and I still often bounce ideas off him by email.

The point I’m trying to make is, like intelligence, giftedness isn’t a black-and-white category, or even a linear continuum. Not fitting in isn’t always a sign of someone who is gifted, nor is thinking differently, or being creative. Everyone has their own values, and defines which traits are most valuable in terms of them; often, they base what is valuable on the gifts that they have, such as in my case I might consider someone who excels at philosophy to be gifted, whereas someone who excels at sports or art to be less so (not that I do).

I think the message to take away from your article, Robin, is not whether or not you qualify as gifted, but merely to focus on what abilities you have rather than those that you don’t, and use them as best you can. As another memorable teacher of mine once said, “Creating art and never showing it to anyone is just another form of masturbation.” I think something similar can be said for abilities people possess: the worst thing you can do is not use them and share them with the world.

4. Mike says:

Yay! I am gifted!

(and my teachers said I had ADD)

(wtf: repost, not sure why somebody would not let my comment in before, but it still stands. Most of what is described above will get you labeled ADD in todays school system.)

-Mike

5. bright boy says:

I am intelligent, not “gifted”.
    There is no giver.
    The use of the judging word gifted is promoted by christianity marketeeers who want to ride our coattails to promote their god delusion, and get more paying members for their homophobic sect.
    U fell into their trap. Therefore, you are very “gifted”, but not intelligent.

6. TxAggie08 says:

Haha, I could only say no to 3 questions. I was always in the gifted and talented programs and now I’m a senior engineering student at Texas A&M. Some of those traits get you into all kinds of trouble. The strong moral conventions, stand against injustice and questions rules and authority combo is killer. I’ve always been saved at my jobs / research positions because I was far and away the best at what I did. I’m not sure I’ll always be fortunate enough to pull that off so I’m sure it will come back and bite me in the ass someday.

7. t says:

before i saw all the noise in the comments i felt an urge to say:

@tim yates: maybe your voice and your honesty is your purpose: how did the navy turn you into a hippie?

8. mon says:

Most people I’ve met are intelligent and creative in their own unique way. I know that probably every single person that has read this today has answered or tried to answer YES to almost all of these questions.

We are all surprisingly smart creatures, each in our own way and every day I keep finding out different points of view and different creativity skills coming from people I would have never thought were even capable of having a coherent conversation.

I would love to think that I am one of the few people out there that has extraordinary mind capabilities and incredible artistic skills, but I keep meeting more and more geniuses out there.

9. Oxford Nick says:

Very interesting thread here… (Note: I have just read what I wrote, and I apologize in advance for lack of brevity, but I think my post and detail could further a good deal of discussion…)

I think that helping gifted people realize the facticity of their talents is doubtless important. I myself started taking classics courses as part of a gifted program at a local college while I was in grade school. I graduated with honors from a nationally reknowned high school and have scored in the top 99% of every standardized test I have ever taken since the first grade. I graduated magna cum laude from college recently with a double major in business and philosophy and then went on to study at Oxford University in England. I’m in Mensa. I read Kant, Einstein, Kolmogorov, Newton, Wittgenstein, Scotus and loads of others for fun. I am a 23 year old CFO of a healthcare consulting company I co-founded. Etc. Etc.

My point here is that I am gifted. Now, I went to a small, Catholic grade school with a severe shortage of resources. I never recieved the training I needed. I was so far ahead of the curve (reading Dickens in the second grade, etc.) that there was no other way to school me but to place me back into the pack and let me get my straight A’s. Luckily, my parents are both doctors and so I was to receive much-needed intellectual mind-body training outside the context of school, in the form of: Museum memberships at all the major Chicago museums, art camps, coding classes at a local college learning DOS, classics courses at a different local college in grade school, gymnastics, horseback riding lessons, the swim and diving team, frequent vacations for the benefit of learning and relaxation and the experience of new cultures, zoo camps, reading programs and contests, summer camps, music lessons, encouragement and funding of various hobbies, basketball-baseball-soccer games/camps/lessons/, private golf and tennis instruction, ice skating lessons, volunteer work at soup kitchens and hospitals, and so on and so forth, etc., etc. My early life was a constant flurry of activity in a household with great parents who had the resources to serve as the perfect incubator in which my mind could thus develop.

Having said all that, I was far ahead of the curve, in reality. But, in my mind’s eye, I wasn’t all that talented. I went from small catholic grade school to huge, extremely prestigious private high school. Out of a thousand or two capable kids who took the entrance exam, I scored the second highest. Yet, I had never developed the mathematical excellence that got one noticed, so to speak. An anecdote, one I will never forget…I tested into very advanced math class at said high school, even though I had never done anything farther along than pre-algebra. I was in a confused state of awe and fear at the kids in class who seemed to understand what the teacher meant when he was talking about “The Pythagorean Theorum,” as I had nary a clue about such feckless banter and mindless drivel. I ended up dropping into more “regular math” for the next four years, never having the second lowest score in any class I was in for four years. Only a year after my advanced troubles, I was on the regular track and acing every test, quiz and assignment on concepts that I had thought nebulous and unflinchingly difficult only a year before. I just didn’t have the training in that particular genre of knowledge, albeit an incredibly foundational one, to be sure. As a child of intelligent, successful parents, there were only so many experiences outside of the classroom that they could provide me with. Other things, like mathematical training, should’ve been affored me in the schools.

The end result, and the reason I have written so at length, is that my experience squares with the point of this blog post. I was inaquately trained in grade school and that training provided the foundation for the most embarrasing and scary intellectual debacle of my life that day in that classroom. It has given me a complex of sorts, which I’m sure can be seen if one takes a close look at this post. I skated through four years at a great school thinking I wasn’t as smart as the valedictorian. It wasn’t until I was 19 and took a few IQ tests, got into MENSA, started studying the great thinkers of history and realized I could SEE their thoughts better than my professors and etc. that I slowly began to realize how far to the extreme right of the bell curve I am. That valedictorian on a full ride to M.I.T. may indeed be better at math than me, but not for anything inherent in his mind – which is what I thought because my advanced math teacher in my class (a Mr. Roger F*****l) made it seem like my difficulties were inherent in my brain’s neural capacities to understand and that he couldn’t be bothered to help me out when there were futre Yalies in the class to be taught who already knew by rote what I was struggling at first to comprehend. That valedictorian was, and indeed is, a social misfit and I daresay that today he would have a dog of a time networking and building relationships and managing people in order to lead a successful company. But, in my freshman year of high school could he ever construct a geometrical proof! Am I smarter than him because of this, and vice versa? No, just have more training in business and, subsequently, a larger share of business acumen – and likewise with mathematics (which I have since studied intensely while at Oxford)

I also have a perfectionist, addictive personality – which can be sometimes self-destructive (say, with alcohol) and oftentimes important (as when leading to the concentration needed to cram an entire semester’s worth of accounting into my brain from the 44 of 48 classes I deliberately missed in order to receive the A+ grade I require).

My overall point of this diatribe is that I think it a mite or more of a travesty when a gifted child has go through periods of intense self-doubt and conflict that are artificially created and then exacerbated by that which already occurs naturally during adolescence. I had a great childhood, with doting and loving parents, great siblings, and everything a boy could ask for, so don’t get me wrong, I am not some abused, neglected nefarious character pining for help. I just think that if I had the proper training whilst I was an impressionable youngin from a school with more resources and put into a program through school with the resources and/or expertise to handle me, then maybe my growing up wouldn’t have been so mentally difficult for me.

Any thoughts? Holla atcha boy!!!

P.S. Please don’t think me a pompous jerk for my ruminating upon and bloviating about my mental talent. I just am stating facts so that the reader can ascertain more fully the ultimate point of my post, ya dig?

10. Oxford Nick says:

P.P.S. Sorry for the typos!! I ended up dropping into more “regular math” for the next four years, never having the second lowest score in any class I was in for four years…should read something more like…I never had anything less than that first or second highest grade in class every quarter, every exam (with a probable exception or two as regards regular test scores).

11. drnzyme says:

sadly i don’t meet the criterion

12. steve says:

yo, the greatest always fail, thank you for writing the article

13. Colin Cochran says:

I’m 40 and have struggled my whole life with severe ADHD, and unidentified until my early thirties. Went to three different psychs because I moved around, all with different diagnosis. It did not take long to figure out who was interested in helping and who was in for money. Anyways I have lots of crazy thoughts about the world and govt. I’m a history buff and I have been developing my own philosophy to try and understand the truth. It works for many things, but I have no one like myself to bounce my thoughts off. My ADHD makes it hard to comunicate.

14. Colin Cochran says:

My thoughts come out scrambled in conversations, but the info is there. For instance, when Cheney makes his speech on reasons to attack Iraq, he specifically ” without a doubt their are weapons of mass destruction including nukes. Not that they suspected or were certain, because these are not strong enough words to sell his war. So he manipulated the truth and consciously used “without a doubt” to create urgency, knowing these things didn’t exist.

15. Paul B says:

Wow, talk about a recipe for narcissism. I could just feel the impulse to identify myself as “special” and “unique.” Even if a person is “gifted” it doesn’t make them humble. And walking around with the idea that you somehow “have” some special something others do not is antisocial and egotistical, not profound. Don’t worry about measuring yourself. If you are “gifted” it goes without saying and you’ll prove yourself if it’s true by your actions without having to match yourself to some list of prerequisites. And if you’re not, ignorance is bliss. 🙂

16. Chuck says:

I was pulled out of a standard curriculum in the first grade and was placed in an accelerated program. I was with the same people until high school and by that time I tired of being the or a smart guy. Anyway the long of the short is, I haven’t finished with college yet as I wish never to, but I’ve managed to start a business in a masonry type trade. It was difficult to find guys I could train, because college goers have minimal interest in trades and most guys that end up in trades, dont originally choose to. I found that many people have a greater capacity to learn and adapt then they believe and that is what makes the average person “dumb”. It is a lack of belief and a facade of not caring. Our hearts desire as humans is to learn every day and to thereby enable our unique and creative inner thoughts to become concrete through our actions. I’ve spent two years convincing a guy that I now consider a good friend that he really has been smart all along and didn’t ever take advantage of it. After him everyone who has joined my operation since has trekked the same mental journey I put the first guy through. Its rigorous, but rewarding. Its provided a cohesive group and an awesome environment for all of us. For a more elaborate story etc email me ctoyeiv@yahoo.com

17. Dave Pen says:

In my own point of view, would say that the characteristics of a gifted individual is the ability to listen adequately.

18. Brian Upton says:

Wow. This is like reading my own bio…I remember the
    frustration as a kid, trying to explain an “invention” of mine to another kid. I could see the whole process before me like a movie; yet, typically
    my listeners would “shut down” after about 15 seconds…only now do I realize that I was, and am,
    *different*. What did they call it, in Prison Break?
    “Low Latent Inhibition”? Heh heh. Any “Off-Grid” property for sale out there? mondrayx@earthlink.net

19. elichayah says:

My experience with “giftedness”

1) high IQ/called a “genius”

2) dismissing my intelligence/talents as a “joke”

3) feeling like a nerd, geek, freak

4) wondering what it would be like to be “normal” for a day

20. black and pink says:

Sometimes being gifted is really troublesome. I have friends that are gifted, One of my friends pretends that she’d an idiot so that people wont feel weird around her, another friend of mine only talks sometimes because people would walk away from him.

21. Jatna says:

Truth is I didn’t try to calculate the percent. I answered “no” to about 1-2 questions so I think I’m far over the 75%. And yet, what am I to do with it?

As far as I know my IQ is of 132, and maybe higher because truth to be told 132 was the top score on the test. My emotional intelliengece is of 134. My mental age should be the one of an adult even though my true age is… I’m not telling

22. erick barahona says:

do i reserve the right to say i honestly do think i am gifted for two main reasons? one being that i clearly remember the day i was tested, and the thoughts that ran through my mind at time, and two i scored at 94% missing only one and doubtful of the other.

23. You know how you tell yourself you are studying because you have your certification books opened in front of you? But you are really clicking on Stumble Upon to find interesting posts to read?

Yeah well, I came across yours and had to write to tell you I enjoyed it very much. I gave it the thumbs up, so more people can come across it and enjoy it also.

24. Robin Bal says:

Glad you liked the post. Thanks for the thumbs up.

Take care and cheers

25. Al says:

I am 64 and all my life from the age of about 12 I always felt I was a square peg in a round hole.

Several years ago I retired to a quiet life in a small village at the sea but instead of relaxing and enjoying life as I had hoped I started suffering from constant frustration, depression and anxiety.

After visiting several psychologists I eventually landed up with one who decided to do some psychometric tests. After all was said and done the psychologist explained that I am a gifted person, what it meant and suddenly many confusing and difficult aspects of my life became clear to me.

I am not out of the depression and anxiety yet but really believe I will beat it now that I know who and what I am. Armed with this knowledge and understanding I now have something to grab hold of and can go about changing my life and my circumstances to find contentment.

I have no regrets about my past life but I can’t help thinking how different it could have been had I known this from that early age. Maybe not necessarily any better but certainly different and I am sure none of the depression and anxiety I am experiencing now. I certainly would have been a lot more confident and achieved more during my school years instead of often having my confidence undermined and made to feel humiliated by teachers telling me I was stupid and slow. However, what did anyone know then about gifted children then who could easily be perceived as stupid or difficult so I am not blaming anyone. Even now, as Robin Bal says, not enough is known about giftedness.

My point is this is all new to me but one thing I sincerely believe and hope is happening is that all children who seem to be out of the ordinary in their thinking and behavior should be tested for giftedness and given the opportunities to reach their full potential.

As my psychologist said, the tragedy of undiagnosed and misunderstood, gifted people is that their talents are lost to the world forever. As Robin says you never know, one of them could be the next Einstein. On the lighter side, I might not have turned out to be the next Einstein but I have often been told I bear a strong resemblance to him in his later years.

Thank you Fobin for a most enlightening post and also to the authors of some very interesting responses. Judging by all I have researched so far it’s nice to know I am not alone and some sort of crackpot.

Al

26. alfred says:

wow, i actually read every response ahead of mine. this is unusual because i rarely stay focused this long. unless i am interested. it’s kinda like someone just lit a match in a cave. and now i can see where i am. like in the cartoons when the match lights up a cave and the character can finally see that he is surrounded by a bunch of wild animals. anyway i feel like i can see where i am and not sure if i like it. so i will blow out the match and run through this cave we call life. for a little while longer. cheers all.

27. starrynight says:

I don’t believe the world has this many gifted people or geniuses. I was in a gifted program at a young age and I absolutely despised the majority of the other kids in there. I was disgusted by how way they viewed and the way they sometimes treated other kids they deemed were less intelligent. To me they were just privileged assholes because their rich environment allowed them academic and social advantages over the less fortunate.

I delighted in crushing their egos by outperforming them to such an extent that they would never dream of thinking they can be intellectually equal to me. I felt the need to make them feel inferior because like many of the less fortunate kids, I came from a disadvantaged environment. It is not because I was gifted that I excelled, but because I was very driven by HATE.

All the hate in the world won’t change the fact that the world is filled with privileged assholes who lack understanding of those who are less fortunate. I have since aged into a person of very average intelligence because I realized being consumed by hate is rather stupid.

28. marci says:

I looked at your list and I had all of them right but three. I have always done well in school, been in hard classes, and have been labled gifted before, but so what? I do not believe that the term gifted should be used as something to feel different or special from the majority, or superior to others. A person may have gifts, but everyone has gifts. Maybe the garbage man is gifted in ways that you do not possess. I also do not think that people should use gifted as a reason or excuse to feel different or act in inappropriate ways. If you have gifts, as everyone does, then put them to good use by contributing to society and the welfare of others.

29. Mayeesha says:

I always noticed that most of my classmates considered me a crazy person for my giftedness. Many of them often told me that my intelligence was definitely not higher than them.I always take less time to learn anything.But they never believe me.They always keep saying that I’m lying.I think people should me more sympathetic towards gifted people.It’s not for their arrogance or attitude problem they consider themselves gifted.It’s only because they know that they posses higher level of intelligence and they just like to show it like a favourite toy.They do it because they consider their intelligence as their only weapon and best friend.Is it a right thing to misjudge a person just because she has a slight higher intellingence than you?Students often tell their fellow gifted classmates that they don’t need to study hard and they will get marks easily.The gifted people like to earn praises its true but they don’t like it always.Often they just want some friends to discuss study materials or interests.They might not like to compete with others because that can lead to professional jealousy.We gifted people like to stay above the selfishness of normal people.We want to study because we just feel that urge to learn things.So please don’t just call us nerds and cast us aside.Sometimes we are just so much absorbed on a certain topic that we might not be able to give proper attention to others needs.But that does not mean that we don’t care.Well,normally our feelings are so intense that we ourselves are afraid of them.What other people see as a joke we can’t just forget it no matter how hard we try.Hell we can’t even forgive ourselves if we somehow hurt other people.And most of the time we show that we are indiffrent,we never expose our true feelings except with those person whom we consider safe.Only those people who won’t make a joke about us on our face,who won’t tell us over-intelligent freaks.If we just get assurance of good behaviour,we can work far better.

30. Mayeesha says:

I always noticed that most of my classmates considered me a crazy person for my giftedness. Many of them often told me that my intelligence was definitely not higher than them.I always take less time to learn anything.But they never believe me.They always keep saying that I’m lying.I think people should me more sympathetic towards gifted people.It’s not for their arrogance or attitude problem they consider themselves gifted.It’s only because they know that they posses higher level of intelligence and they just like to show it like a favourite toy.They do it because they consider their intelligence as their only weapon and best friend.Is it a right thing to misjudge a person just because she has a slight higher intellingence than you?Students often tell their fellow gifted classmates that they don’t need to study hard and they will get marks easily.The gifted people like to earn praises its true but they don’t like it always.Often they just want some friends to discuss study materials or interests.They might not like to compete with others because that can lead to professional jealousy.We gifted people like to stay above the selfishness of normal people.We want to study because we just feel that urge to learn things.So please don’t just call us nerds and cast us aside.Sometimes we are just so much absorbed on a certain topic that we might not be able to give proper attention to others needs.But that does not mean that we don’t care.Well,normally our feelings are so intense that we ourselves are afraid of them.What other people see as a joke we can’t just forget it no matter how hard we try.Hell we can’t even forgive ourselves if we somehow hurt other people.And most of the time we show that we are indifferent,we never expose our true feelings except with those person whom we consider safe.Only those people who won’t make a joke about us on our face,who won’t tell us over-intelligent freaks.If we just get assurance of good behaviour,we can work far better.Most of the time we have idealistic view about the world which doesn’t match with the real one.At the same time we stay very practical when showing emotions.But people must understand when we say we are feeling bad that might only be the peak of an ice-berg.And if we get ignored or neglected one or two times we may hide all of our potentials and feelings and never ever let them come to surface.

31. Al says:

Hi Mayeesha.

All that you say sounds so familiar and so true of gifted people. I don’t know how old you are but if I read right into your commentary I would assume that you are a young adult. I am now 64 years old and as an older gifted person may have some useful advice to offer you and others in your situation.

I have posted a comment before regarding my own experiences (see post no 76 above) So, I am not going into the details again except to repeat this: that the tragedy of undiagnosed and misunderstood, gifted people is that their talents are lost to the world forever. As Robin says you never know, one of them could be the next Einstein.

My advice is to get a teacher, mentor or professional psychologist who understands gifted people to advise and guide you and others like you, on how to handle your giftedness and make it work for you. Otherwise, you could perhaps land up being someone like me with depression and anxiety from years of forcing me to be what I was not. Always the square peg in a round hole. Knowing I was different but always believing that I was the odd one out and having to force myself to fit into the world of the plebs. This is not meant to sound arrogant… it’s the reality for us whose brains just happened to be hard wired differently to the other 85% of the worlds population. .

All the best
    Al

32. Alvaro says:

Hey – whats up. Thanks for the blog. I’ve been digging around looking some info up for shool, but i think i’m getting lost!. Yahoo lead me here – good for you i suppose! Keep up the great information. I will be coming back in a few days to see if there is any more info.

33. Al says:

Picking up of a few earlier comments:
    One can suppose that the list of characteristics can be interpreted as ambiguous and subjective but that is if one looks at it in isolation. However, there is a vast amount of information on the internet that will confirm any one of those characteristics.

So to the person who commented that “if you think benchmarks for giftedness exist then you are most definitely NOT gifted” I beg to differ. One of the characteristics of the gifted is a persistent and insatiable curiosity. The person who made this comment obviously is NOT gifted because had they had that insatiable curiosity they would have found that there are indeed benchmarks for giftedness. I will agree that no two gifted people would be the same but the fundamental characteristics are common to all.

Regarding Josh’s comment no 36. I liked the article and from personal experience can comment on his question about the psychological disorders in relation to gifted individuals. As he suggests being less adapted to the immediate environment would most likely contribute to social problems and anxiety. Also if giftedness is not recognised from and early age it can and does cause the same psychological problems in the young as well. My friend is a psychologist (also my therapist) who specializes in psychological problems associated with giftedness and her practice is a busy one.

I like Josh’s comment that perhaps the gifted are the bridge connecting possibility with actuality. I would definitely agree but only if they are recognised at an early age and are in the right environment to prosper and grow.

Al

34. boybunny says:

@Al

Talking out of an orifice not connected to your respiratory system.

Worldwide intelligence tests have been completely discredited by all Psychiatric and Psychology organizations and researchers. Only in USA where they were once used to judge one child from the net is there any lingering support for the archaic system.

Al, you damn yourself by your own words… You state “One of the characteristics of the gifted is a persistent and insatiable curiosity. The person who made this comment obviously is NOT gifted because had they had that insatiable curiosity they would have found that there are indeed benchmarks for giftedness.”

Please note that your slavish unquestioning support for an outdated system that probably made you feel special and superior to other children when you were young shows a need to hold onto what you were taught as a child. It shows that you are not capable of questioning the status quot and you have absolutely no curiosity.

I hope you have a nice, and an ignorant day.

35. Al says:

Hey Boybunny?

Oh dear… do I detect the arrogance of youth? I have no idea how old you are but you certainly come across that way.

Also the saying ‘sarcasm is the lowest form of wit’ comes to mind when I read your little rant. If you can’t debate an issue without resorting to sarcasm then perhaps you best keep quiet.

However, having said that, I am intrigued when you say “ Worldwide intelligence tests have been completely discredited by all Psychiatric and Psychology organizations and researchers” Unless you are an eminent research psychologist, or can back up your statement with some credible references, I think it rather bold and arrogant to make such a generalised statement. Perhaps you can enlighten your audience as to your age, qualifications and references?

And my last words on the subject. To quote you: ”that your slavish unquestioning support for an outdated system that probably made you feel special and superior to other children when you were young shows a need to hold onto what you were taught as a child”
    My dear fellow, when I was the child you speak of Dwight Eisenhower was president of the USA and Elvis Presley’s voice had just broken. At school in the early fifties one was either clever or stupid. I was classified as the latter.

If you had read any of my earlier posts you would have noted that I am now 64 years old. Somewhat wiser through age and experience, retired and only recently was anything suggested about me being gifted. This only came about as a result of therapy for depression and anxiety. The root cause being that I am stuck in an environment that lacks the intellectual stimulation and many of the special needs of a ‘psychologically challenged’ person. (Dare I use the word gifted?)

Typical of the some of its people, the restricted environment I live in and the source of my discontent is the tone of what you wrote and it saddens me that I had to lower my standards to your sarcasm but it’s probably the only language you understand.

Sincerely and humbly yours.

36. Rafael Valentino Zappia says:

I´m taking this article to open everyones mind, widen everyones horizons and see the possibilities on your own. It don´t matter how much % you fit on that list… come on! open your wings and fly, aim for the moon! when I was a kid I ripped the brands for my bluejeans and hated the concept that you had to be a part of something… “peer pressure is called? not for me!! ah ah no, not for me. I am and I was what I am for what I believe on, not for stupid brand of clothes I may wear… this? I argue with all the a holes telling me I didn´t fit. Where are they now? who cares! but I will not let them be part of my priceless world,

37. siddhant says:

hey!!!
    really glad u wrote this article….
    but i really think everyone has a purpose in life not just the gifted ones….
    and everyone’s gifted in their own way!!!
    my score was 80% though.. 🙂

38. zack says:

this list is not to test your intellingence. its to help our confused and misunderstood brethren see the truth to their problems.

with all the problems and frustrations that come with being gited also comes a great reward, a deeper and more complete understanding of truths about our world.

we are philosophers

39. Josh says:

@Al Thank you. You made my day. I feel a bit like it was the exact recognition that Robyn was speaking of. I think another test of intelligence is how a person conducts himself/herself in a debate. If a person can articulate an idea without pitfalls and logical fallacies or without trying to attack the opposing sides credibility or character then what we have is a gifted person: not only one in whom gifts have been endowed but one who haves gifts to give to the world. So thank you for embracing your gifts. I sometimes have trouble wit this.

EVERYONE NEEDS SOMEONE TO BELIEVE IN THEM. That’s the key, in my opinion to solve just about any issue a person has. Let’s face it, there isn’t a man woman or child in the world with nothing to offer. Everyone of us is gifted, and all that is lacking in most of our lives are people that believe in us. I genuinely feel that the solution is to believe in our children, all of them, and to simply expect and encourage them in their pursuit of happiness. All they need to be exceptional they were already born with. JUST ADD WATER. 🙂

40. BoyBunny says:

Hey Josh. You are mentally masturbating again.

Oh you are superior because you don’t lower yourself to some arbitrary moral standard?

You are arguing morals, not intelligence. When you do not understand what intelligence is, try not to debate the topic.

41. Josh says:

I suppose my point was that no matter the level of genius if a person can’t convey and his or her ideas and defend them in a civil manner then very few people may take that person seriously. Genius serves very little purpose if it can’t be shared with the world. Intelligence no matter how big or small is still intelligence and thus full of posibility.
    Morals are a measure of intelligence and wisdom,and along with patients and civility these aren’t just concepts but tools to accomplish things and avoid unnecessary struggle. A genius, one would assume, would recognize and appreciate their value.

42. BoyBunny says:

I disagree Josh.

Real genius learns early on that the world, society as a whole, do not care about innovation. Those who are truely inventive that I have met have been stonewalled and ostrecised by society because they presented completely original concepts. Those with power, influence and money who then stole their ideas for more profit got all the glory. This has happened throughout history. Guttenburg did not invent the printing press… I bet you can not name the person who he copied it off. Edison did not invent the light bulb or recorded sound, I bet you can not name the people he stole them from. The Write Brothers did not fly first (they did not steal, but USA refused to send an independent observer to New Zealand to see the first flight… in a modern monoplane six months before the Write brothers barely left the ground)… I bet you can’t name the person that flew for ten minutes in circles over the heads of a crowd that included an independent observer from Australia.

I have had my inventions stolen by Microsoft, Adobe, Sony and a few smaller companies. I have had every idea rejected by companies when given in a real proposal. Companies would rather steal and promote themselves as the creators of technology than to pay for and give credit to the true inventors. The public seem to like this arrangement because they do not need to know who invented their tech.

So your inexperience of this side of the argument is showing. You obviously do not have the intelligence to be truly original. You are one of the masses. The same masses who act as if it is moral to let companies steal and cheat their way to the original technology and ideas of the independent inventor… the inventors that they would never hire for a normal paycheck to start with. Is that moral in your arbitrary moral world? Does your moral code allow for the theft of work from the most intelligent in society?

Where are your morals? You seem to live by a strong moral code… why do you and others in normal society with your normal IQs allow the theft of our life’s work? Could it be the fact that normal society has been researched and has been found to dislike anyone who is 20IQ points higher than they are? Those of us with high intelligence levels never abandoned you, you abandoned us… excluded us… and stole from us. Possibly because you feel threatened by us… so that makes it OK in your moral code to exclude us from normal society, from normal tech jobs and from owning our own work.

Nice talking to such a moral person.

43. Nunteefut says:

Hi amazing thread you have going there!

44. SwitteFrawith says:

Mindset vs. Conception The first thing that we need to see back turning dreams into genuineness is that we when one pleases demand two
    noticeable attributes. We need to have both the freedom Appreciation and a reassuring Mindset. Diverse people taking on every side Mindset and
    consequently are more expected to be found lacking in their attempts to get what they after, when they want. As you can over the front of achieving
    anything is mostly having the make right mindset. In information it is not far from ? Mindset and ? Knowledge. Having the beneficial Grasp is fetching
    straightforward, it is lore the skills and strategies required to carry out the tasks you when one pleases mount on yourself.
    The Mindset despite that is something the many people struggle with . To have a champion Mindset means that you are extremely Motivated and accept the Decision and Force Power required to command the sacrifices you will need to make.

45. shantellemhi says:

00Kitten looks like she has a part of with tongue in cheek on the adult sexcams. She’s the type of girl who liking quite chat to you on account of ages in the free sexcam compartment previously she nonetheless thinks alongside whether or not you want to have webcam sex with her. I recollect I’d like to drink webcam coition with her in the direction of sure, in the score I don’t contemplate I recognize a bloke on this planet who wouldn’t like to have webcam copulation with her. It looks hot where she is and I invent that she needs to match off a two clothes to keep cool. Oh look, she is prepossessing open her clothes and she looks much more safely a improved in behalf of it; I play she’s much cooler. Surprisingly tolerably it’s made me much harder to discern her much cooler; it’s funny how things achievement out isn’t it?

What is it those pallid panties that makes me methodical harder? In episode, what is it prevalent any undersized chalk-white panties that urge men hard? Well in this situation, the sexcam babe that’s wearing them, that’s what gets you hard. That and the event that when the sexcam babe has a inimitable illustration like this the same, you can see their pussy from beneath their ass cheeks, hanging there in its thong panties, well turned out and comfortable and hearty, only just waiting in place of some dirty negligible fucker like me to sign in along and get it out to compete with! Oh this babe is so fucking peppery that webcam intimacy principled isn’t adequacy with her; I candidly receive to forgather this girl and usher if she wants to put faith into missing with me throughout a sip or something. Just reflective there the on the table of her bending over in those tiny ungenerous panties makes me as baffling as misery all more than again!

46. Bleagsgaure says:

When searching for the PDA Palm Tungsten E2, you’ve made an intelligent decision. This is certainly the most popular handheld PDAs out there at the moment, nevertheless it might get expensive.

In this article you will discover among the coolest features, the easiest location to buy yours, and the way you can aquire one at up to 78% a lot less than the brand new posted price.

Connect Wirelessly

The PDA Palm Tungsten E2 has generated in Bluetooth technology. This lets it to quickly hook up with compatible wireless devices, such as mobile devices, laptops, and printers.

What could be better for anyone that’s busy to help organize their life instead of have the ability to collect all of their data in one place without needing to fuss with cords, connect, and wait for an link, being required to stay there for doing it to complete? That is great for someone that wishes to grab their data and run.

Very easy to Use the internet

Anyone looking for a PDA probably has convenience as one of their top priorities. On the internet is the best place to go in that respect. There is no wasted time driving, dealing with crowds, stopping to gas up, or stopping at more stores to comparison shop.

You may have your PDA Palm Tungsten E2 picked out and shipped to you in less than ten minutes online, shopping around time included.

How to Get a Great amount

The two main primary methods of deal looking on this PDA. The foremost is the normal search results searches with various modifiers, factoring in shipping, store reputation, etc. But this is usually a fairly expensive item regardless of the, best scenario you’re getting twenty dollars off a 3 hundred plus dollar item.

The other, that will ensure you get an insanely affordable in case you are comfortable carrying it out, is buying used. Many times you could possibly get precisely the same model, excellent, with no problems, for just a quarter in the new price.

It is very important that you could trust the vendor in cases like this and that they and/or their merchants have a good return policy, in case you play your cards right you’ll avoid the transaction very happy.

So if you’re taking the second option, check the other people are saying with regards to the seller (in the event that’s the medium you will be using). Ensure that the company is very happy with their purchases.

Thinking about purchasing a PDA Palm Tungsten E2 pre-pwned or new?

47. sconversoro says:

I recently moved house and my mulberry elgin tote bag has gone i was wondering if anybody knows how much it was merit ahead i call the police?

48. risguigma says:

Amazing Details about Eset Nod32 Antivirus That Is not Ignored

Because the ESET firm joined town of safety suites, they are bagging one award following a other. In line for the virus bulleting, they earned sixty VB100 awards which is definitely the very best earned so far by any safety fits from Symantec, MacAfee, AVG, Norton, Ahnlab the like. Add to this, they earned a five star (outside six) rating in the prestigious PC pro sales brochure, while CNET supplied compared to 3. 5 out the particular 5 rating. With numerous reasons, it’s clear with out a lot doubt that ESET has been doing nice homework before entering into the security industry, what an awesome achievement you will say, after simply been operating for mere 4 awhile – 5th of November to be precise, waxing stronger and stronger day by day.

From the small earlier maiden edition, Nod32 manufactured in the early part of the Nineteen Nineties till so far, better upgraded variations have been introduced plus different continual Nod32 security product traces like the ESET cell security, ESET sensible security beta 1, the like, all produced to fire located on the work of this stability suite. A taste of the pudding is incorporated in the eat they say, that means to obtain a greater really feel of such Nod32, you might be advised to attempt it than simply studying data on it, but for the aim of the cautious purchaser, consider evaluations concerning the ESETnod32 anti virus.

Nod32: Options and outline
    Identification and authenticity of something even something like Nod32, could be achieved via some background information. As already mentioned, the product was initially introduced within the early 90’s, to deal with the growing challenges of laptop infections, then it primarily used more despite Info Know-how employees within Japanese European nations – there have been surprising because the corporate is based in Slovakia. ESET Nod32 antivirus is established in editions particularly the home and office editions. The house version of Nod32 antivirus is developed for administrative function for instance enabling server operations whilst management, reflecting harmful signature recordsdata updates and to be able to put in Microsoft Glass windows server operations systems. Nod32, since its manufacturing have numerous other variations like the first 4. zero beta 1 sibling, launched on the 19th utilizing November 2008 for unique normal examination; in line towards the corporate ESET, they claim that the model 4. zero contain detection upgrades and clean – up. Amongst other issues, the main one 4. zero is also educated include ESET SysInspector, Browsers thunderbird and ESET SysRescue.

Powers
    The Eset Nod32 antivirus 4. 2. sixty seven works adequately to maintain computer risks away, it is user friendly, has straightforward features that work well very efficiently. Utilizing the safety product stop from many disasters over and over and on any activities. Aside from holding threats apart, it additionally works for the threats that crawl in during auto shelling out of various stuff from pesky. Hold in my mind simply no invention is ideal and that it is simply because it is man-made and as people are fallible and they are their inventions irrespective of the number of advantageous factors it incorporates, although typically, some merchandise by simply their large impact how should almost move as excellent the same as the Nod32 safety suites. There’s no particular defect related to give ESET Nod32 antivirus product other than minor complaints which actually does not likely quantity to anything.

ESET Nod32 anti – virus 4. 2. sixty seven version will come in the trial and handed over version. The trial version provide you with 30 days to attempt it whereas the compensated model costs $39. 99, it functions on home windows 200/XP/Vista/7. Similarly, Nod32 works completely next to overshadowing different security industry considering its 94. four% success valuation on attacking malware, 94. 7% spyware detection and 97. 2% detection capability the AV- Comparative test. These as well as other laudable achievements give ESET Nod32 antivirus an A benefit award.

1. December 24, 2007

[…] Intelligence Redefined: Are You A Gifted Person? | Fortune Watch […]

2. August 22, 2009

[…] if they even exist. Well, anyway, a fellow Indigo sent me this link. What do ya think about it? Intelligence Redefined: Are You A Gifted Person? | Fortune Watch -Andrew This ad goes away when you […]